Announcement of the call for the 2021 Joseph Altman Award in Developmental Neuroscience
On April 19, 2016, Dr. Joseph Altman, who discovered neurogenesis in the adult mammalian brain and received the International Prize for Biology from His Majesty the Emperor of Japan, passed away. Dr. Shirley A. Bayer, Dr. Altman’s widow who conducted research with him for over 30 years, offered to make a donation to the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) with the goal of instituting an award in developmental neuroscience. Accordingly, after discussion in a JNS special committee, the Board of Directors of JNS, at the Board meeting on July 19, 2016, decided that JNS would establish and administer the Altman Award in Developmental Neuroscience (hereinafter “the Award”).
We are now calling for the 2021 Joseph Altman Award in Developmental Neuroscience.
Application submission site opens on November 1st, 2020.
Application deadline is on January 31st, 2021
- Scope of the Award: Research in developmental neuroscience at the tissue and cellular levels. The scope of the Award is not limited to phenomena during fetal or developmental stages; it also includes adult neurogenesis and its biological significance and its changes resulting from aging and diseases. (As a general rule, applied studies are not included within the scope of the Award.)
- Eligibility: As a general rule, researchers who have received their doctorate or comparable academic degree less than 20 years prior to the application submission deadline. (Not limited to members of the Japan Neuroscience Society.)
- Supplemental Prize: 10,000 USD (Fixed total amount if the Award is granted to two or more recipients.)
- Selection Criteria: Submit three articles.
One corresponding author article published within five years of the application deadline.
Two first or corresponding author articles (no limitation of published year)
Only original articles are evaluated, and review papers should not be included.
- How to Apply: Applications shall be submitted to the Award website.
The following three sets of documents are required to be uploaded via website.
- One article which was published within five years of the application deadline and the applicant shall be a corresponding author. (PDF of article),
- Other two articles representing the applicant’s achievements and the applicant shall be a first or corresponding author (PDF of two articles)
- Application Form with Brief summary of scientific achievements (Download here)
- Obligation of the Recipient: To make an award lecture at the Japan Neuroscience Society annual meeting to be held in the same year, that is the 44th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society, which will be held in Kobe, Japan on July 28 – 31, 2021 (Economy-class tickets and an accommodation fee will be provided for the recipient if he/she is an overseas researcher and will fly to Japan).
- Deadline Date: Applications must be received by January 31, 2021
- Method of Selection and Notification of the Result: he Selection Committee will evaluate the applications to determine the recipient. The applicants will be notified of the selection results by the end of March 2021.
- Award Ceremony: The Award recipient will be recognized and presented with the prize money at the meeting of the 44th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society held July 29 – August 1st, 2021.