Dear JNS members,
JNS and SfN provide a joint travel award exchange program for graduate students or postdoctoral investigators to their respective annual meetings.
Members who wish to apply to this travel award must have successfully completed submission of their abstract as a first author to SfN before sending in their application.
SfN enthusiastically announces that Neuroscience 2021 will be held in an inclusive hybrid format. Neuroscience 2021 is one annual meeting with two experiences: for the first time, a four-day full virtual program (November 8-11, 2021) including reimagined virtual posters, and a four-day full in-person program in Chicago at McCormick Place Convention Center (November 13–16, 2021).
Neuroscience 2021 (SfN's 50th annual meeting):
If you are interested in applying, please follow the guidelines below.
JNS encourages participation of members from diverse backgrounds and offers equal opportunity.
Chair, International Collaboration Affairs Committee, JNS
【Guidelines : JNS-SfN Travel Award Exchange Program】
1. Application period:
Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. - Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon JST)
2. Where to send application documents:
The Secretariat of the Japanese Neuroscience Society
3. List of all awardees (for reference):
4. Guidelines for applications to the JNS-SfN Travel Award Exchange Program：
The applicant must meet all of the following criteria.
- Enrollment as PhD-seeking graduate student or a postdoctoral scientist working in Japan
- JNS membership in good standing on the application deadline. (One can become a member of JNS within a few days.) The applicant must be the first author of an abstract submitted to the SfN Annual Meeting. An applicant must have completed submission of his/her abstract to SfN, before applying to the JNS-SfN Travel Award
- The applicant must have completed the submission of his/her abstract to SfN as the first author, before applying to the JSN-SfN Travel Award.
II. Support provided
- 2,500 US dollars equivalent (the award will be provided in JPY)
Award cash is remitted to recipients about two weeks before the SfN meeting.
Note: The award cash must be used for the trip to attend the SfN 2021 meeting.
- Complimentary conference registration (SfN will refund the conference fee later)
*Abstract submission fee and the membership fee of SfN are not waived.
- Registration fee (Depend on your SfN member category)
- Abstract Submission fee (USD 145.00)
III. Events organized by SfN for awardees (TBA- see below for reference)
- International Fellows Orientation Session (to be held during the SfN meeting)
- The awardees are required to attend this event. Further information will be directly provided by SfN to the awardees.
IV. Method of application
- All the materials, including the advisor’s recommendation, should be written in English.
- All application documents must reach the JNS office (email@example.com) by the deadline.
- The JNS Secretariat will send an e-mail acknowledgment to each applicant upon receipt of submission. If the applicant does not receive any reply within four days after submission, the applicant should check with the Secretariat.
V. Materials for application
- All the materials should be combined into a single pdf file.
- File Name: Your JNS Membership ID + your name.pdf
- The subject of the E-mail: Application to JNS-SfN Travel Award
- Institution and Department
- JNS membership ID
- Gender (Male or Female) (optional)
- The preferred format of participation (Virtual or Chicago)
- Statement of intent (200-250 words) that provides the summary of the applicant’s motivation and purpose for attending the meeting.
- One-page letter of recommendation from the applicant’s academic advisor
- One-page curriculum vitae that includes the following information.
- Education and professional experience, if any: please explicitly mention the date when the applicant received (or is expected to receive) his/her Ph.D. degree.
- Honors/awards, if any.
- Bibliography of all peer-reviewed and invited publications, as well as meeting abstracts.
*If you cannot fit it in one page, you can submit additional pages.
- Copy of the abstract submitted to this year’s SfN meeting.
The application deadline: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. (noon JST)
The secretariat of Japan Neuroscience Society at firstname.lastname@example.org