Tenure-Track Faculty Positions
Center for Frontier Research, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Japan
1. Job Description
The National Institute of Genetics (NIG) invites applications for tenure-track associate professor positions in the Center for Frontier Research (CFR).
We seek early-career scientists conducting pioneering research in the life sciences, broadly defined. We hope to fill two or three principal investigator positions for researchers who will run independent laboratories in an outstanding research environment with competitive financial support.
Based on the spirit of gender equality, at least one of these positions is designated for a female researcher.
2. Description of Appointment, Support, and Environment
Position: Tenure-track associate professor
Term of Appointment: 5 years
Associate professors appointed through this search are eligible to be promoted to tenured associate professor or professor through a tenure evaluation (To be conducted within the term of appointment).
Salary: Determined by institutional regulation depending on experience
Approximately 140 square meters
10,000,000 yen for the first year, 8,000,000 yen for the second year, 6,000,000 yen for the third year, and 3,000,000 yen per year after the fourth year (30,000,000 yen in total).
One postdoctoral fellow position and one research technician position (Within the initial term of appointment). This support is in addition to the research funding described above.
The institute boasts substantial communal equipment, has rich genetic resources and mutants of various model organisms for use, and promotes extensive collaborative research. NIG functions as the Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI (Graduate University for Advanced Studies). Tenure-track associate professors at NIG also engage in graduate education as faculty of the Department of Genetics of SOKENDAI. NIG is promoting safety and healthy working environment by such means as preventing passive smoking.
(Indoor smoking is banned. / Smoking is allowed only in the designated outdoor areas.)
Other support (e.g., child care)
Those who are raising children can apply for an additional institute-funded technician position. Provisional childcare is available, depending on the situation.
Application Deadline: Noon (Japan Time) on Monday, May 9, 2022
Interview and Seminar: Sunday, September 4 and Monday, September 5, 2022
Appointment Start Date: After December 1, 2022
4. Application Materials
- Curriculum Vitae (In English. Japanese applicants should include an additional copy of CV in Japanese. Include e-mail address.)
- List of Publications (Circle a few selected publications and include their URL. Briefly describe your contribution to these selected publications.)
- Research Proposal (In English, max. 2,000 words. Start with a title of your proposal followed by a concise summary [<400 words]. Include previous accomplishments and figures as necessary.)
- Career Summary (Download the form from the NIG website)
- Arrange three letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the address below (How to prepare recommendation letters)
- Make a single file that includes (1) to (3) (either MS Word or PDF) and send the file and the career summary file (4) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject line should be “CFR Application”. We will notify you of receipt of your electronic application via e-mail within 2 business days.
Send your application and inquiries to:
CFR Search Committee (Personnel Team)
National Institute of Genetics
Yata 1111, Mishima, Shizuoka 411-8540 JAPAN
NIG Homepage: https://www.nig.ac.jp/nig/
CFR Homepage: https://www.nig.ac.jp/cfr/en/index.html
Organization chart: https://www.nig.ac.jp/nig/research/organization-top/organization