Postdoctoral Positions in Synaptic PlasticityLaboratory
and Connectivity, Center for Brain Science, RIKEN
Neuron, Synapse, Astrocyte, Synapse signaling, Electrophysiology, RNA regulation
We study the basis for setting and regulating the efficacy of information transmission across synapses, which are crucial for how the brain adapts to the environment, learns and stores memories, and which are often dysregulated in neurological disorders. Focusing primarily on the hippocampus, although not exclusively, we examine the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying the interactions with neighboring synapses, neurons and astrocytes in shaping the local circuit functions, with the aim to bridge the gap between our understanding of large scale circuit properties driving behaviors and the cellular principles of synaptic operations.
Job title and Job description
We seek highly motivated, enthusiastic, and creative scientists with good interpersonal and communication skills. Applicants should have a PhD in Neuroscience and practical experience in fluorescence imaging of live cells and electrophysiology or demonstrated expertise in biochemistry and molecular biology. A strong interest in synaptic mechanisms is essential, and proven research ability in cellular neuroscience and technical expertise in patch-clamp recordings and other electrophysiological methods and/or advanced techniques in cell biology and molecular biology would be an advantage.
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist: 2 positions (Research on mechanisms of synaptic circuit regulation)
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in Neuroscience field. Proven research record in cellular neuroscience using electrophysiological methods and/or advanced molecular biology techniques will be advantageous.
Branch and address
Salary and benefits
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198）
Application and required documents
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes. No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available) These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations. RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference. Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
- Complete CV WORD(56KB) or EXCEL(159KB) (with photo and email address) RIKEN CV format：*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19261”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievement and publications (include external funding awarded, if applicable)
- Description of research activities to date, including techniques acquired
- Reasons for applying for the post (personal strengths, motivation, etc.)
- At least 2 letters of recommendations including one from the current supervisor
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yukiko.goda [at]riken.jp (Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yukiko.goda [at]riken.jp)
Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of employment
April 1st, 2020 (or negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
RIKEN Center for Brain Science
Laboratory for Synaptic Plasticity and Connectivity
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yukiko.goda[at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.