Neurodiversity Symposium: Building Community and Rethinking
the Built Environment
We are pleased to announce the Neurodiversity Symposium: Building Community and Rethinking the Built Environment
which will take place between September 11 – 14, 2020. Please see attachment
. The event is co-organized by the Jefferson College of Architecture and the Built Environment and the Jefferson Center for Autism and Neurodiversity.
Please register here: t.ly/9pxK
and find full program attached.
The symposium Neurodiversity: Building Community and Rethinking the Built Environment is an online, free, 4-day, cross-disciplinary event of critical interactions addressing all-inclusive ways for inhabiting and perceiving our environments.
The event aims to stimulate dialogue amongst designers, medical field experts and people with Autism Spectrum Disorder in regard to the inclusivity of our current environments and with particular focus on designing for neurodiverse individuals and those with ASD.
The format for the event is conversational, featuring pairings of speakers from the design fields with speakers from the medical fields as well as speakers with ASD and their caregivers. An In Dialogue session in which speakers and design students are engaged in moderated discussions follows each pairing as well as Q&A sessions open to the general audience. A round table discussion with speakers from all four days will conclude the event on Monday September 14th.
Dates & Themes:
- Friday, September 11th, 9.00am- 1.30pm EST // NEURODIVERSITY: FOUNDATION
- Saturday, September 12th, 9.00am- 4.00pm EST // DESIGN FRAMEWORKS: Evaluation Strategies
- Sunday, September 13th, 9.00am- 4.00pm EST // SENSORY ERGO-DESIGN: The Human Body as a Catalyst
- Monday, September 14th, 9.00am- 1.30pm EST // INCLUSIVE FUTURES
Place: Online. Link to follow upon registration.
Sean Ahlquist // Severino Alfonso // Christopher Banks // Jaime Bassman // Hansel Bauman // Caroline Borgia // Seb Choe // Jennifer Cook O’Toole // Erica Daniels // Brian Foti // Eron Friedlander // Brooke Goodspeed // Adam Harris // Lauren S. Henry // Stephen K. Klasko // Barbara Klinkhammer // Alex LePape // Amy McCann // Joseph P. McCleery // Bruce A. Meyer // Magda Mostafa // Itai Palti // Wendy J. Ross // Joel Sanders // Roseann Schaaf // Stephen Mark Shore // Lonnie Smith // Gregory Tino // Sabra Townsend // Loukia Tsafoulia // Mark L. Tykocinski // Rachel Updegrove // Verona Carpenter Architects.
- Severino Alfonso and Loukia Tsafoulia, Synesthetic Research and Design Lab, College of Architecture and the Built Environment, Thomas Jefferson University.
- Dr. Wendy Ross, Center for Autism and Neurodiversity, Jefferson Health, Home of Sidney Kimmel Medical College.
We hope you join us for the event.